Saturday, November 19, 2011

Corbett Canyon White Zinfandel

My very first glass of wine was a pretty pink Corbett Canyon White Zinfandel from California.

Circa 1999
I was in high school. Senior year. My boyfriend at the time pilfered the bottle somehow so that we could have it for the night of our senior prom.

To be honest, I don't remember the glass consumed with him. My memory of this bottle of wine focuses on the next night, when my best friend and I finished the bottle.

I invited her over for a slumber party, and once the folks had gone to bed, we retrieved the bottle from its hiding place in my closet. We marveled at the curvature of the bottle and the blushing color of the liquid.

I couldn't tell you now what it tasted like (probably not great since this bottle, pretty as it was, didn't even come with a cork: it was a twist off). All I know was that it was sweet, sharp, bubbly, and intoxicating.  Our sleepovers always consisted of lots of giggling, but that night, the giggling took on a drunken timbre.

Luckily my parents couldn't tell the difference. Although Mom did ask what was so funny the next morning. I think I turned as pink as the wine.

It was a long time after that before I drank wine again, and even longer for me to develop an appreciation for it. And now I am attempting to develop an understanding of it.

Over the past year I have been researching and tasting different kinds of red wine. I started tracking them on Pinterest, but it seems that each bottle ends up with a story associated with it, so after some reminiscence, I decided to start this blog.

I still have that very first bottle of wine. I don't even think they make them like this anymore. I also still have my best friend, Luigi, and she will figure prominently in many of my wine stories.

My journey to become a wine connoisseur is about more than just my opinion of the wines I taste. It's a learning process, and with any journey, it comes fraught with stories. I am naturally a storyteller, and it turns out that wine is, too.

And so my wine reminiscence begins here. Who knows where it will eventually lead me. I have enjoyed a lot of wine since this bottle. I anticipate enjoying many more, and I hope to share my stories about each bottle here.

1 comment:

  1. I recently bought some stuff at an auction and tucked beside a half litre clear bottle what was the exact same bottle that you had in 1999. So thank you for posting your picture now I could what year came from because I don't see it posted on the bottle

    ReplyDelete