Saturday, December 10, 2011

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Amitage 2008

Finished up the Cotes Du Rhone last night during a pity party that took place with Luigi and her boyfriend over video chat. Before the pity party commenced, I shared a couple of glasses of Beaujolais Nouveau at a friend's house. It was good wine, but simple, and it made me realize how complex the Cotes Du Rhone was. Heavy. Dry. Not especially appropriate for a pity party, I've decided.

But that's not what this entry is about. This entry is about the lovely Amitage, a red blend from Columbia Valley, Columbia Crest Grand Estates. A bottle of 2008. This lovely red was smooth with a grapey aftertaste. Not too many of the dry wines I've tried have any grape flavor left, and this one was absolutely delicious because of it. I wonder if it was the blend or the age that gave it that flavor. I might have to do some research.

The cute liquor store guy who checked me out (at the register, kids) said it was his favorite wine of the month for November. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure he was flirting with me. I guess I was just too excited about my wine purchase to notice.

It proved to be a perfect wine for November, too. It helped me through my toughest National Novel Writing Month yet. On those nights I didn't think I could write another word, I'd hop in the region's chatroom with my glass of Amitage, and we'd laugh and joke and do word sprints. It was the cause of many typos that we affectionately referred to as the "Nano wine monkeys."

And when November drew to a close and I wrote the last word of my sixth winning Nanowrimo novel, I raised my last glass of Amitage to toast my success.

This is definitely one of my favorites so far.

2 comments:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaujolais_nouveau

    http://gothamist.com/2011/11/18/georges_duboeuf_beaujolais_nouveau.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave! I've updated the blog to reflect this :)

    ReplyDelete