Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lucky Star Pinot Noir

I mentioned good "date wine" in last week's post, and how the Vitiano wasn't one of them.

Allow me to explain.

A few months before my first date with the Scotch man, I had another first date with the friend of a friend. On this date, I discovered that there is, in fact, such a thing as good wine to drink, without food, on a date.

We met at Downtown at Henry's Upstairs, which is one of my favorite bars. That's quite a compliment coming from me, since I don't like bars, as a rule. It has to be good for me to consider it a favorite. You have to walk up a rickety flight of wooden steps to the bar, which is above Henry's coffee shop. It feels more like your hippy friend's apartment than a bar. I like it because it's comfortable and broken into a handful of different rooms for more intimacy.

I had planned on arriving early enough to buy myself a soda disguised to look like something alcoholic, but he showed up as I reached the bar. Too late. So instead, I browsed their wine menu. My interest in red wine had barely begun at that point, but I decided to take my chances. I ordered the Lucky Star Pinot Noir.

I wish I could remember what vintage it was, because I'd love to go get myself the exact same bottle. It was that good.

The bartender poured a copious amount of the dark liquid into a large wine glass. My date insisted on paying, which I accepted with as much grace as I could muster. But I knew it was enough wine to last me at least a couple of hours worth of date, so I wouldn't have to fight him on who should pay for a second drink.

I'm not sure why this was so important to me. Maybe some attempt to assert my independence?

The date went fine, as far as first date standards go. And this is where and how I decided the Lucky Star was a good date wine: it helped loosen me up to a point of feeling giggly and mellow, so what might have become a dull evening stayed entertaining. Yes, probably any wine would have been able to do that, but this particular glass went down so smoothly that it didn't make me flinch every time I took a sip. Even after breathing for hours while we talked. Or rather, while he talked. Some of the more dry wines I've enjoyed tend to cause an involuntary grimace as I drink them. The flavor is still lovely, but the initial bite can sometimes make me cringe.

The last thing you want while on a date is to make dry wine face. Need to make a good first impression, so a good "date wine" is important.

Thankfully, my days of awkward first dates are over, although now I'm trying to learn how to drink whiskey without cringing too much, since the Scotch man teases me for it every time.

1 comment: