Sunday, August 5, 2012

Villa Parini - 2010 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

Photo credit
To be totally honest, I don't speak Italian, so I wasn't even sure what was the grape and what was the winery. I had to do some internet research, and found out that my use of common sense was correct. The vine is the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. I learned lots of cool stuff at this website.

I bought this particular bottle as a Wine of the Week from Cork and Barrel, even though I have overspent my wine budget for the next three months. Cork and Barrel had a closeout sale last month, and I brought home six bottles of wine. I couldn't help it. The description of this one sounded so delicious. According to Cork and Barrel, winemakers call this one "fresh and fruity with raspberry and cherry tones and a touch of wild flowers." How could I resist that?

So I went in to pick up the bottle on my way to somewhere else, so I was in a hurry, but not too much of a hurry not to stop and grab a small plastic cup from the free wine tasting table. Apparently a brand new ordinance allows liquor stores to have in-store tastings now, so they have a tasting of the Wine of the Week every Wednesday, a selected vendor every Saturday, and as I discovered, random tastings whenever vendors want to set one up. The wine I tried there, which I didn't catch the name of because I took the cup he handed me and hopped into the checkout line, was a really sweet red. I am much happier with the bottle I took home.

I'm glad I didn't resist this purchase. It was, in fact, quite fruity and fresh. It had a pleasant bite to it, which I have come to love about the dry reds, but it wasn't so acidic that it was painful to drink. It was light and tasty. The Scotch Man and I used it to toast our writing successes. And I attempted to write the story due for my writing group - which, ironically, takes place in a wine cellar - while drinking this.

I might have had a bit too much. I realized when I was trying to have a serious financial discussion with the Scotch Man and I was having a hard time finding the words to express that I was trying to say.

Overall, this wine has made me start thinking that maybe the Italians really do know how to do wine right, and that's why all of the best wine is supposed to be Italian.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats for this tasty experience! Italy is the land of delicious wine, without any doubt.

    ReplyDelete