Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chapelle-St-Arnoux - 2010 Cotes-du-Rhone

This was a fancy bottle from Rhone Valley, France. It's the second bottle of Cotes-du-Rhone I've tried, and I’m starting to think this blend might be bad luck.

The first time I tried it was the Thanksgiving where I embarrassed myself by bringing wine to a gathering where nobody drank.

The night of this bottle was the night of a rescue mission. I had my first glass, started to relax and mellow out, and I was trying to watch a scary movie with the Scotch Man. Not even ten minutes into the movie I got a frantic call from my friend who was on vacation. Her dog, who I watched for a couple of days until her friend could come get him, had been alone in the apartment for a week because her friend never picked him up like he was supposed to.

I told her I would immediately go check on him, so I dragged the Scotch Man along with me. Convinced he'd be dead when we got there. I have never been so relieved to find something alive. He wasn't his usual peppy self, but otherwise seemed fine. He had trashed her the apartment, drank two bowls of water while we were there, and didn't want us to leave, but he is a survivor. He may never be quite the same, but hopefully he will make a full recovery from his abandonment issues.

The Scotch Man works in Law Enforcement, so he's seen his share of bodies - which is part of the reason I took him with me - so he explained that my being hungry and horny afterward the ordeal was pretty normal. Something to do with adrenaline and glucose and feeling alive.

I barely tasted the second glass of wine I had when we got back to his place. And almost poured a third, but it was late and I had to go home. It was nice to have something to take the edge off, that's for sure.

Sad to say I don't have any distinct memories of the actual flavor of this wine, but it did come with a hell of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment