Sunday, September 9, 2012

Five Rivers - 2009 Pinot Noir

I bought this bottle at Cork and Barrel's closeout wine sale (the one I bought six bottles and spend $70 at) and I have to admit the sole reason I bought it was because the label was pretty.

Popping the cork was a pleasant surprise, as well, as it is inscribed with the word "Goddess." The wine itself was pleasant but nothing extraordinary. It didn't keep as well as some bottles: after a week it had gotten a bit bitter to drink. Probably a drink in one setting bottle, if you can.

This bottle I drank with the Scotch Man at his place, and the main story here is that I am still adjusting to having his son, the little Jedi, around full time. Some nights after trying to keep that kid entertained I am in serious need of a glass of wine.

Could having three kids be why my folks always drank a beer or two every night? I wonder sometimes. I often thought it was just a holdover from their college days (Mom was pregnant with me when she graduated) but now I'm not so sure.

I also wonder what our kids will think about us drinking wine (and Scotch) almost every night. Just like my parents, I wait until the kid is in bed to pop the cork, but the collection of wine bottles rivals the collection of beer cans my folks collected over the weeks. We had a great big black trash can that we collected the cans in for recycling.

Right now I just collect the wine bottles because they are pretty. My collection is large, however. I need to start recycling them and only keeping the really nice bottles.

But I'm going to start keeping all of my corks. Especially this one, since it says Goddess on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment