Sunday, September 30, 2012

Davenport Orchards and Winery 2012

Some of you may remember my trip to Davenport Orchards and Winery last year the weekend I went to pick grapes.

Well I went back for more again this year. And this time I dragged the Scotch Man along with me.

Here we are at the vineyard!



We spent about three hours picking grapes off the vine with the other volunteers and seasonal workers. Look at all the grapes we picked!

Ok, so the Scotch Man and I didn't pick all of these. We probably only contributed three or four bins out of the total forty-nine.

After they fed us lunch (along with a complimentary glass of wine!) we got to watch them load all of the grapes into the de-stemming and crushing machine. They put us back to work helping out. I got to swap out bins to catch all of the stems and other trash came spewing from the back end of the machine.

I got a little messy.

Ok, so this might be a bit embellished for effect, but I did get pretty messy. The guys working there took some extra gunk off the machine and made me rub my hands in it before we took the picture, hehe.

After we finished working, we went back to the tasting room and tried all of the different wines they had for tasting. The Scotch Man bought a bottle called Jazz Man, and I got one called Matrot - which is made with Norton grape, the same type of grape we were picking today.

Overall it was a long, exhausting day, but the weather was amazing, I got to see a lot of awesome stuff, and I  got to spend the day with my man. He did a good job helping out. Here he is helping mash the skins back down into the fermenting liquid.

I can't wait to drink the bottles we got today. And I can't wait to go back in a couple of years to get a bottle made of the 2012 Norton we helped pick this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment