Sunday, September 23, 2012

Heron - 2009 Mendocino Merlot


This bottle of Merlot I opened while talking on the phone to an old friend of mine that I don't get to see very often anymore. He scoffed at my choice of Merlot and made a recommendation of a wine that he regularly drinks that I promptly forgot (and still can't remember - something about sisters). I see he still hasn't posted it on my recommendations page, even after a long tangent of him trying to log into his own Blogger account while we were chatting.

I forgive him. For not visiting my site, for thumbing his nose at my choice in wine, and for only talking to me for two hours in the last six months.

I'm a pretty good friend. Once you're friends with me, you're pretty much stuck with me forever. I'll always be here waiting.

Merlot, in general, I've discovered are pretty dry. This one had the typical dry burn, and no noticeable flavor afterward. I've decided that that's what makes a good wine to me. If I can still taste some of the grape, or some other flavor, through the dryness. I know there is probably a good wine term for that, like finish or something.

I've been drinking wine for long enough that I feel like I should have a better idea of what I like and what I don't, but I am still learning. So far it's been mostly blends that I've liked them most, but every blend is different.

Heck, I've found that even different brands of the same kind of wine are different. It's so hard to settle on something I'm really happy with.

Although why settle on one? There are too many wines out there to try. My work has only just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment